It hit me the other day that we are well into the month of May which means, my friends, that swimsuit season is right around the corner. Yes, it’s time to shed those baggy sweaters for something a little less…well…we’ll just leave it at that. When the weather begins to turn warm, I find myself craving salads and light, low carb and healthier meals for dinner. I like eating lighter as the temperature creeps up plus I’m more aware of what I eat since I know I’ll be spending time by the pool and wearing my swimsuit soon. This Grilled Eggplant Pizza is a dinner idea I know you’ll love.
Slices of grilled eggplant topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and basil make this Grilled Eggplant Pizza a perfect choice for a light, low carb dinner.
Usually I make up a pot of tomato sauce ahead of time and have containers of the sauce in my freezer that I thaw and use in this recipe, but use whatever tomato sauce you love. A favorite sauce of mine that I find in the grocery store is Classico Tomato and Basil. I love it because it tastes great and has no added sugar in the ingredient list. Again, please use your favorite.
I guarantee you won’t miss the pizza crust in this eggplant pizza. Even my diehard pizza loving kids enjoyed them. This grilled eggplant pizza is a simple low carb, low calorie, extremely flavorful warm weather dinner idea.
You might also like…
Grilled Eggplant Pizza
- 1 inch medium eggplant, rinsed and sliced into 1/4- thick rounds
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 5-6 leaves basil
- Heat the grill to medium high.
- Place the slices of eggplant on a baking sheet.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant with olive oil and sprinkle each side with a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place on the grill and grill for about 3 minutes/side or until tender.
- Remove from the grill. Warm the tomato sauce in a small saucepan and spoon over the top of each eggplant slice.
- Top with slices of mozzarella cheese. Warm in the microwave 20 seconds or so to melt the cheese.
- Top with basil.