Since we love to grill outside and our evenings are still quite mild, I decided to grill a beautiful, thick piece of salmon the other night and I made a sweet and savory apricot ginger glaze using dried apricots. The dried apricots gave the delicate sauce a lovely sweetness that paired well with the salmon.
I sofented the apricots first in hot water and sliced them into strips. Then, I cooked the apricots in a little white wine, orange juice, low-sugar apricot preserves and added a touch of tarragon and ginger for a little added zest to the glaze.
The apricot ginger glaze was very flavorful and perfect on the salmon. For this low-carb dinner, I served the salmon on a bed of sautéed spinach and drizzled the apricot glaze over the top.
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons low sugar apricot preserves
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- salt, to taste
- Place the apricots in a bowl and set aside. Boil the water and pour over the apricots. Allow the apricots to soften about 5 minutes. Drain and cool so the apricots are easy to handle.
- Slice the apricots into strips and set aside.
- Add the oil to a medium saucepan set to medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the orange juice, sliced apricots and the preserves and cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the wine, tarragon and ginger. Bring to a simmer and cook an additional 3 minutes..
- Serve over salmon.